Overview of Role: Northern Illinois Food Bank is in need of volunteer(s) to assist in the warehouse with getting donated food ready to be sent out to the 800 network partners. In order to make this happen volunteers are needed to repack and sort donated food items. In a given day volunteers could be sorting anything from cereal to frozen meat to toiletries.
Responsibilities: The responsibilities of the volunteer will vary based the donated product that has recently come in. Some of the regular responsibilities would include putting together boxes, labeling food items, inspecting product for damage, checking expiration dates, weighing, carrying, and lifting boxes of products.
Requirements: This volunteer(s) would be flexible in regard to projects that change daily, works well in a physical setting and is able to work both with small and large groups. It is important to know that it is an open warehouse setting where the food items very daily. Those with severe food allergies should contact the department to see if accommodations can be made.
Age: 8 years old plus. Those between 8 and 15 need to have an adult accompany them when they volunteer.
- West Suburban Center: 273 Dearborn Court Geneva, IL 60134
- North Suburban Center: 440 Keller Drive Park City, IL 60085
- Northwest Center: 765 Research Parkway Rockford, IL 61109
Time Commitment and Duration: The volunteer must commit to an entire shift, which are typically 2.5-3 hours long. Beyond that it is up to the volunteer as to whether they want to make it a reoccurring shift or not.
Specific Days or Date(s):
West Suburban Center:
- Each Tuesday - Thursday: 9:00 am - 12:00
- Tuesday & Thursday: 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Tuesday Evening: 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Thursday Evening: 5 pm - 7 pm
- Each Saturday of the month: 9:00 am - 12:00
North Suburban Center:
- Tuesday: 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm
- Thursday: 9:00 am - 11:30am
- Wednesday: 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Saturday: 9:00am-11:30am
- Tuesday: 9:00 am - 11:30 am
- Tuesday and Thursday: 1:00 pm-3:30 pm
- Saturday: 9:00 am - 11:30 am
Training Required: A brief orientation will be provided on the first day.
Supervised By: Volunteer and Processing Department
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment