2015 Volunteer Coordinator Internship Description:
Planet Drum (PD) is looking for a motivated individual to help manage current volunteers, the volunteer house/office, and work with the development of their volunteer program for the native tree Revegetation Project in Baha de Carquez, Ecuador. The Volunteer Coordinator will be responsible for coordination of volunteer activities at the house/office and fieldwork relating to the Revegetation Project.
About Planet Drum Ecuador:
Planet Drum is a San Francisco, California based organization founded on promoting bioregional principles. Founder Peter Berg was invited to work on ecological issues with the city of Baha de Carquez, Ecuador in 1999. Since then PD has developed field projects and collaborated with the local government to create Baha Eco-Ciudad. PD has a long-term 'Revegetation Project’ and has worked extensively with Bioregional Education in schools and communities. For more information about the history of PD projects in Ecuador, please read: 'Planet Drum Info and History, 2012.’ Interns are being recruited to assist with the evolution of PD’s field projects in order to further the scope and impact the projects have on restoring the local ecosystems and raising grass-roots bioregional awareness.
Volunteer Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Take charge of the arrival, training and orientation, and departure of volunteers.
- Act as the main resource for volunteer needs, questions, and additional assistance.
- Manage the communal volunteer house, including delegating daily tasks and responsibilities (such as cleaning and cooking communal dinners) and ensuring that the house runs smoothly.
- Post, update and monitor current internship and volunteer postings online through current and new marketing mediums.
- Work alongside volunteers in the greenhouse and at revegetation sites with the PD native tree Revegetation Project.
- Assist in scheduling, organizing and delegating responsibilities at the work sites.
- Take charge of recordkeeping and organization of volunteer information and other additional administrative tasks.
- Catalog and organize information from the projects of previous PD volunteers.
- Taking on additional projects within the organization or in the community is encouraged.
Volunteer Coordinator Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree, currently working toward degree, or equivalent work experience.
- Previous volunteer experience, preferably in a supervising position.
- Ability and confidence to work with a minimal amount of supervision.
- A demonstrated interest in non-profit program development and environmental conservation issues.
- Ability to work well with people from varying backgrounds.
- Previous travel abroad experience, particularly in developing countries.
- Must be comfortable with living in a communal household.
- Spanish language skills are not required for the position but some degree of Spanish language ability is highly recommended for daily life in Ecuador.
Internship Position Commitment:
At minimum, the internship positions require a 3-month long commitment. Preference will be given to applicants interested in longer stays. A special tourist visa is required for stays longer than 90 days. It is highly recommend that you look into the visa application process before making travel plans.
PD is a very low-budget non-profit organization. Interns are responsible for paying for their own travel expenses, including arrival to Bahia and daily bus rides to and from planting sites and the green house (one-way on city bus costs only 25 cents).
Rent for the communal living house is $40/mo. for drinking water, internet, toilet paper, etc. Interns are responsible for their own food.
About the House and Town:
The apartment is large and can hold up to 6 volunteers at a time. There are 3 bedrooms (2 communal for volunteers and one private for the field projects manager, his wife and two young children), 2 bathrooms, kitchen, and a large communal living space.
It is located in the center of Bahia on the second floor with lots of windows that provide a nice breeze to combat the warm climate. The local market is 2 blocks from the house. The river is 2 blocks away and the ocean about 5 blocks away.
Other Internship Information:
Planet Drum is proud to offer two other internship positions:
- Community Engagement Internship
- Revegetation Field Research Internship
Planet Drum encourages interns to pursue receiving university credit and scholarships for the work they do and is willing to assist with any related paperwork.
Internship Application Process:
E-mail the following information, plus anything else you'd like to add to Clay Plager-Unger, the Field Projects Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter describing what you hope to bring to and gain from this experience.
- A story about a meeting or relationship with a non-human.
- What is your level of Spanish comprehension?
- Are you comfortable living communally (i.e. living in close quarters, cooking communal dinners and cleaning up responsibly after yourself and others)?
- What dates are you available to intern?
- Problem Solving
- People Skills
- Environmental Education
- Community Outreach
- Habitat Restoration
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Minimum 3 months commitment
- See above description for preferred qualifications