The grounds of Tovrea Castle are a large "Cacti Garden."
As a Garden Volunteer, you will be weeding, removing dead or old plants and/or cacti and you may get a chance to plant new cacti too. It can be labor intensive at times, and since you are working around cactus, everyone needs to be aware of their surroundings. You will need to make sure you pace yourself and drink plenty of water.
Garden Volunteer Requirements:
1) Footwear - work boots/shoes, or a heavy-duty tennis shoe with thick rubber only; no flip flops, sandals, or thin shoes of any kind whatsoever.
2) Sign in at the beginning of your day, sign-out before you leave (see Team Leader)
3) Bring your own weeding tools, gloves, or any other personal tools (Tovrea has a few extra tools in case, but it’s better to have your own), wear a hat, sun glasses and wear sun protection.
4) Bring your own drinking water. There is no potable water on the property.
5) Clothing - it’s a good idea to wear long sleeve shirts and/pants. But if you don’t, just be careful around the cactus as to not poke yourself.
6) No children under 12; age 12 to 17 must be accompanied by an adult.
We use VolunteerSpot.com to sign up for Garden Days... http://vols.pt/FNt4pG
Find out more at our website at TovreaCastleTours.com to learn more.
This Volunteer Opportunity does NOT include a Tour of the Castle
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 13
- 3 hours each garden day