Work with residents and share your job search skills and computer knowledge with formerly homeless & low income persons!
Volunteers urgently needed:
Our volunteer-powered Computer Technology & Job Search program needs you! Formerly homeless and low income residents who call us daily to access this critical volunteer resource are currently wait-listed. Please read on and contact us today at volunteer@LIHI.org !
Resourceful and dependable volunteers like you provide our residents with one-on-one computer technology and employment search instruction.
As a volunteer, you will help formerly homeless and low-income families and individuals become more self-sufficient by working with them to utilize computers and online technology. You will spend one 1.5-hour session each week with a resident at one of LIHI’s computer labs or nearby libraries to help them develop skills many of us take for granted: using electronic mail, performing job searches, creating and revising resumes, filling out online applications, etc. You will also spend some time each week planning and finding resources relevant to your sessions.
- Commit to volunteering with one resident for 1.5 hours per week for at least three months
- Spend approximately 1 hour each week planning the session
- Develop a plan with the resident for each session, depending on their skill level
- Provide assistance with use of MS Word, Web Browsers, and e-mail services for employment search activities
- Assist job seekers with resume development and/or cover letter writing
- Assist job seekers with online applications and job search
- Keep brief records of your activity during each session
- Computer Technology, Resume Writing & Job Search resources are provided -
Skills and Requirements:
The volunteer should have good working knowledge of electronic mail programs (internet based services such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc.), online job searching, and constructing resumes. Good verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Experience working with low-income and/or formerly homeless adults preferred. Background check required.
Time Commitment: 2.5 hours per week for the duration of three months.
Location and Working Conditions:
You will be assigned to meet with a resident either in one of our computer labs/community rooms in a housing site in Seattle where computers are accessible to all residents, or in a neighborhood library. Our residents come from sites all throughout the city, allowing for some flexibility with location.
Time commitment & schedule
Choose one 1.5 hour window Monday through Saturday between 9am and 5:00pm. Minimum 3-month commitment required. Additionally, you will spend approximately 1 hour each week planning your sessions, finding resources, etc.
- Interested in working in the human services or education fields? This is a great experience-building opportunity!
- Learn about the impact of homelessness on our community.
- Can count towards volunteer hours for school requirements!
- This volunteer opportunity is easily accessible by bus.
If you would like to learn more about this volunteer opportunity, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at volunteer@LIHI.org or call (206) 957-8067.
- Career Counseling / Coaching
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Administrative Help Needed!
- Looking for a Supportive...
- Administrative Interns or...
- University District: Serve your...
- Lead fun activities for kids and...
- Downtown: Serve your community...
- Homework Club Tutor
- Help our residents get healthy! ...
- Keep Our Seniors Healthy- Teach...
- Assist Homeless Encampment with...
- Work with LIHI residents to find...
- Keep Our Seniors Healthy-...
- Ballard Urban Rest Stop! Support...