Family & Youth Initiative (DCFYI) host parents change the lives of children in foster care.
Host parents are matched with a teen waiting for an adoptive family. The teens spends a series of weekends with the host parent/s. Host parents help teens meet other adults to widen the circles of people who know the teen and his or her desire to be adopted. Host parents give teens support and encouragement they wouldn't otherwise have and help them prepare to be secure independent adults.
Being a host parent is a great opportunity for anyone considering older child adoption to get to know children in foster care (and other adoptive families).
Family & Youth Initiative offers:
- Training, home study, and ongoing support;
- Fun monthly activities for participating teens and adults;
- A wonderful community of adults and teens who genuinely care for and support each other.
Family & Youth Initiative host parents:
- Welcome a teen into their home for a series of weekend visits;
- Help the teen meet other adults so we can help the teen find an adoptive family;
- Report on the teen’s weekend visits.
We work with children 12 to 21 who are in DC foster care and waiting for adoptive families.
We make "natural matches" between host parents and teens. Adults and teens get to know each other at DCFYI monthly events. We make hosting marches based on the relationships that form at the events and with the express interest of both adult and teen.
For more information, please visit our website [www.dcfyi.org]. You an also contact us by phone [202-863-0975] or email [email@example.com].
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- four month commitment once matched with a teen