Family & Youth Initiative (DCFYI) mentors change the lives of children ages 12 to 21 in foster care.
Through sharing new experiences, having fun, and being a consistent caring presence, mentors help teens gain confidence, make wise choices, and have greater hopefulness for the future. DCFYI mentors change lives!
Family & Youth Initiative offers:
- Training and support;
- Fun monthly activities for participating teens and adults;
- A wonderful l community of adults and teens who genuinely care for and support each other.
Family & Youth Initiative mentors:
- Spend at least eight hours a month with their mentees;
- Make a two-year commitment to their mentee, once matched, because these are teens who need lasting relationships;
- Do reports on time spent with their mentee.
- Keep current on required background clearances.
We work with children 12 to 21 who are in DC foster care and waiting for adoptive families. DCFYI teens are placed in foster homes across the area (mostly in DC and Prince George’s County).
We make "natural matches" between mentors and mentees. Adults and teens get to know each other at DCFYI monthly events. We make mentoring marches based on the relationships that form at the events and with the express interest of both adult and teen.
For more information or to volunteer, please visit our website [ www.dcfyi.org] or contact us by phone [202-863-0975] or email [ firstname.lastname@example.org].
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours per month