Sustainable Contra Costa (SCOCO) invites passionate and dedicated individuals to volunteer to help us further our mission. Learn about sustainability principles and practices while building up your resume, collaborating with a fabulous team, making valuable contacts, and getting hands on experience at a cutting edge organization!
Sustainable Contra Costa is a nonprofit that educates, connects and inspires Contra Costa individuals and organizations to embrace a sustainable lifestyle. We are a community of citizens, educators, innovators, and organizations working together to create ecologically sustainable, economically vibrant, and socially just communities for all. Our work is based on the 10 principles of One Planet Living and we are committed to helping achieve the global Sustainable Development Goals through local actions in the greater Contra Costa region. Our programs and initiatives leverage the power of individual and community-wide daily actions to transform the way we interact with each other and the world around us.
We have an immediate volunteer opportunity for a Treasurer. This is a Board of Directors position and this volunteer will fill a vital supporting role with the organization. We are seeking someone who is self-motivated, has prior financial experience, and time to dedicate to creating a more Sustainable Contra Costa.
- Maintains SCOCO financial records and bank accounts using Quickbooks
- Works with the Executive Director to develop budget & forecast, ensuring that all projects, programs and initiatives are properly funded.
- Works with the Executive Director to ensure that an appropriate reserve fund is established and maintained.
- Works with the Board (and an outside bookkeeper/tax preparer as needed) to oversee and ensure that all financial filings with all governmental entities take place in a timely manner. These filings include but are not necessarily limited to, annual filings for exempt organizations to federal and state agencies, quarterly and annual employment filings and deposits, and local and state property and sales tax returns if applicable.
- Attend monthly Board Meetings
The Treasurer will work remotely on their own computer when not attending meetings. Hours and location are flexible, and volunteers must be comfortable structuring their own time. Our volunteer positions provide on-the-job experience and substantial professional benefits including:
* Working with a unique local environmental non-profit organization and with fun, spirited
and dedicated team members who really appreciate each other
* Connecting with innovative and pioneering leaders in the expanding field of sustainability
* Improving outreach, financial management and communication skills
* Valuable job networking
* Community service credit for school, if desired
* Letter of recommendation/professional reference, based on performance
Role of the Board: The SCOCO board oversees carrying out the mission of the organization and sets the overall direction, policies, and use of funds. The Board looks forward and ensures that the future of the organization is sustainable in all aspects, including funding, relevance, membership, and structure.
Board Member General Qualifications: Desired qualifications include: a) passionate about our mission, b) can lead committees, programs, or projects, c) have time available, d) have relevant sustainability-related expertise or other experience that is helpful to the organization, e) can represent the organization in a professional manner, f) can work effectively with existing Board members, g) can commit to a three-year term, h) live in Contra Costa County.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION : send your resume and a cover letter to Batya Gelfand at: firstname.lastname@example.org, with TREASURER APPLICATION as the subject. Please indicate in your cover letter why this position suits your skills, interests and experience. For more info, please check out our website: www.sustainablecoco.org , or email email@example.com THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION!
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 8-10 hours/month