Telecommuting Ruby on Rails developer for existing nonprofit site, and creation of a series of new s
The Daily Source
We are an innovative nonprofit creating several exciting new projects to help people in great need. We are looking for a Ruby on Rails web developer or consultant to help us do one or more of the following:
* help us assess the best libraries/plug-ins and strategize the system architecture and information design.
* evaluate developer applicants, review the work of the developer and give feedback.
* do coding of new pages and features
If you're able to do one of the above and not the others, we can still consider you for this role.
Telecommuting from anywhere in the world is possible. The times of day you do the work are totally flexible.
If you want to get a sense of what we're doing, here are some of our websites that are live, in beta or in initial development. They fall into three broad groups:
1) a group of innovative websites to provide other nonprofits (and their supporters) with unique tools they can use to raise money for their causes. This link below gives an overview: click the "See More" buttons at the end of the sections. In the future, each logo will go to a unique website focused on that fundraising tool. About half of the logos are already linked to sites that are either done or in progress:
A few examples are:
This is a sample of how a person's fundraising page looks - the format is the same at most sites, but each has a unique logo, activity and color scheme:
We've ported the entire IRS database of 1 million nonprofits to our website, so all 1 million nonprofits will automatically have pages at all of the fundraising websites. E.g. -
We're also creating these tools to give people fundraising opportunities every season and holiday of the year: http://calendarforgood.org/
2) new projects to fight global poverty, slavery and climate change. You can see the logos of many of them at these links. In the future clicking on each logo will go to a unique website:
There are other climate change websites we're creating and the best ones are not up there yet.
One of the anti-slavery websites is a modern-day equivalent of the Underground Railroad. You can see the video we made for it and a draft of the website here - when we launch, it will be at .org -
3) an existing website that provides news related to making the world a better place covering various topics including nonprofits, human rights, extreme poverty, climate change, giving and volunteering: http://DailySource.org. This site has existed for over 14 years. You can see a few of the team members here: http://DailySource.org/about/team.
If you're interested, please let us know what your Ruby on Rails experience is. If you can include a resume or a link to a LinkedIn profile, that would help. Thanks.
About The Daily Source
3800 S Tamiami Trail, Suite 321, Sarasota, FL 34239, US
Our mission is to bring the highest quality news from hundreds of sources across the Internet to the public in one place on a daily basis.
We are a 21st-century news site bringing the public top quality stories, columns, editorials, photos, videos, audio, live chats and more. We are an IRS-approved 501(c)3 charitable nonprofit organization. Our site aims to be an important contributor in solving the problems facing our country and world by becoming the central resource on the Internet for intelligent, factual and accurate reporting. Whereas almost all publications rely on a small under-trained staff to produce a small number of stories of inconsistent quality, The DailySource chooses from all stories on the Internet. We present the public with high caliber information, news and analysis that has been chosen from over a thousand publications and is centralized in one site. The information people read is at the heart of improving the world. The site is designed to give the public the information they need to make solid decisions about what policies to support, to become more aware of key trends affecting the world, to find spiritual, recreational and cultural opportunities for themselves, to choose how to best spend their money, to learn about beneficial health news and more. The Internet is fast becoming the leading place for people to get their news. Come be on the cutting edge of it with us.