126 people are interested
Become a Mentor to High School Student- Minds Matter
ORGANIZATION: Minds Matter of the Twin Cities, Inc.
Please visit the new page to apply.
126 people are interested
To apply, please visit www.mindsmattermn.org!
Who are we?
Minds Matter is a 26 year old not-for-profit organization that helps top performing high school students from low-income backgrounds reach their dreams of getting into college. Our Volunteers
- Our volunteers are young professionals and graduate students who play a critical role in helping these Minds Matter students achieve their goals. Mentors Time Commitment: 3-4hrs/week, September through May.
- We pair 2 mentors with each student to work for 2 hours most Saturdays during the school year alongside other mentor/mentee pairs on essays, summer program selection, and school selection
- Mentors are required to be college graduates, attend at least 75% of Saturday sessions, and undergo a background check
Average student GPA is about 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale) while the students’ average family income is about $25,000. 90% of students are 1st generation college students. When? Saturday weekly sessions are from 12pm-2pm. They are facilitated by a program director. We also have a lot of fun mentor/mentee outings and volunteer-only get-togethers throughout the year, giving ample opportunity to get to know your mentee as well as other volunteers.
5 More opportunities with Minds Matter of the Twin Cities, Inc.
About Minds Matter of the Twin Cities, Inc.
900 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55402, US
Our mission is to transform the lives of accomplished high school students from low-income families by broadening their dreams and preparing them for college success.
Launched in New York City in 1991, Minds Matter is a non-profit organization that was created to mentor high-achieving, low-income high school students who have the potential and ambition to pursue a college education, but who lacked the resources to achieve that dream. Since the founding year, Minds Matter has grown into a national organization with ten chapters across the United States in Minneapolis, Minnesota; Boston, Massachusetts; Chicago, Illinois; Cleveland, Ohio; Denver, Colorado; Los Angeles, California; New York City, New York; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Portland, Oregon; and San Francisco, California. Most importantly, the effectiveness of Minds Matter has been affirmed - 100 percent of its students have been accepted into a four-year college. In Fall 2012, we look forward to working with the students of Minnesota as the newest addition - Minds Matter Twin Cities.
University of Minnesota- Twin CitiesMinneapolis CampusMinneapolis, MN 55455
April 26, 2023
- Financial Literacy
- Reading / Writing
- Critical Thinking
- Relationship Building
- Background Check
- Must be at least 22
- Orientation or Training
- 3-4hrs/week, Saturdays, September through May. Must attend 85% of sessions
- College Degree, Background Check, Interview