BEAT SHOP VOLUNTEERS
DESCRIPTION: In Beat Shop students explore music of all forms, mainly focusing on the foundations of hip-hop. Students go through projects devoted to DJing, MCing, beat making, sampling, writing rhythms and melodies, and creating complete songs. Additionally, participants work with writers to learn to express themselves through lyrics in new ways. After learning the fundamentals of different aspects of music-making, students focus on their strongest interests and work to build skills in that area. Instructors in the Beat Shop work with the students to keep things interesting, finding specialized music teachers, organizing CD release parties or going to MC and DJ battles.
QUALIFICATIONS: The Beat Shop is looking for volunteers with great communication skills to instruct middle-school and high-school students in the fundamentals of different aspects of music-making. The Beat Shop volunteer must have a commitment to bettering lives through education. The Beat Shop volunteer should be patient and have an enthusiasm for learning. Some experience working with middle-school and high-school students in a classroom environment is also helpful.
COMMITMENT: All Workshop Houston volunteers must undergo a background check and complete volunteer orientation. Program hours are generally on Monday through Friday, from 4:30PM to 7PM. We ask that our volunteers agree to commit to at least 6 hours per month. Workshop Houston does not sign off on court-mandated or disciplinary community service hours.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Volunteer Coordinator.
- Complete a background check.
- Participate in volunteer orientation and complete training specifically pertaining to your volunteer job.
- Teach children the fundamentals of playing piano.
- Attend volunteer meetings when scheduled.
- Build mentoring relationships with the students through open communication.
- Keep staff informed about volunteer experience, job assignments, or any concerns you may have regarding the program.
- Satisfaction of helping youth to meet their personal goals and be successful students.
- A chance to contribute to your community.
- Meeting new people who bring differences in culture, ability, skill.
- Participating in a successful program with other active, interesting volunteers.
- Encouragement and recognition for your efforts.
- Have fun!
- People Skills
- Music Arts
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- A minimum of six hours per month