Answer the Crisis Line at our Domestic Violence Safe House
72 people are interested
- Crisis Line Volunteers are responsible for answering the crisis line, completing clear intakes for callers who are eligible for WINGS services and providing referrals to callers who would be more appropriate for another program.
- Volunteers also greet staff, other volunteers and service providers who come to the door and maintain overall operation of the Safe House.
- Volunteers also interact with clients as they come in and out and by providing basic services during their stay.
This may be a good fit for you if:
- You enjoy helping people find a way out of difficult situations.
- You are looking for a volunteer opportunity that provides direct service to our clients.
- You are a good listener and able to give empathy and options without giving advice.
- You are able to stay calm, even when others become upset or emotional.
- You are able to listen to a caller’s story and from it, accurately determine whether a person is appropriate for our services or would be better helped by a referral.
- You are committed to providing a safe, non-judging environment where you are willing to support women in their choices, even choices you may not agree with (example: a woman choosing to return to her abuser.)
- You feel comfortable working with people in a diverse environment in regards to social-economic status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and religion.
- You are comfortable with varying levels of activity. (Sometimes the phone is very busy, other times it can be very slow.)The environment can be active which make this a great opportunity for those who can multi-tasks and are not sensitive to noise
We'll work with your schedule.
PO Box 95615Palatine, IL 60095
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Most shifts are once a week for 4 hours at a time.
- 40-hour Domestic Violence Training