Join EarthCorps and the Green Seattle Partnership as we work in one of Seattle’s premier parks! At 534 acres, Discovery Park is the largest city park in Seattle and includes beaches, mountain views, open meadows, dramatic sea cliffs, forest groves, active sand dunes, thickets and streams. The park helps to provide an open space of quiet and tranquility away from the stress and activity of the city, a sanctuary for wildlife, as well as an outdoor classroom for people to learn about the natural world. The Basics EarthCorps supplies gloves, tools, water and snack bars. We will teach you everything you need to know about tool use, safety, forest health, and the importance of the work you will be doing. No experience necessary, just come ready to learn something new! This video may give you a better idea of what to expect.For your safety and comfort please bring:
- Clothing that can get dirty (because it will!)
- Long pants and long sleeves (helps protect against prickly plants)
- Sturdy shoes that can handle some mud ( closed toed shoes are required: work boots, hiking boots, rubber boots, etc.)
- Rain gear and warm layers (check the weather!)
- Sack lunch and snacks (to refuel)
- Full water bottle (we will have a jug on-site for re-fills)
- Travel mug for tea/coffee
In order to help create healthy forests, the work can include:
- Removing aggressive weeds (like English Ivy or Himalayan Blackberry)
- Maintaining areas where these weeds have been removed (weeding or spreading mulch)
- Planting trees and shrubs during the rainy season (often ~Oct.-Feb.)
Youth and school groups are welcome to attend; leaders should contact the Volunteer Team to take care of all necessary preparations. Directions
Discovery Park South Parking Lot
- Take the exit for NE 45th ST.
- From the exit ramp, head WEST (a left hand turn if you are coming from the south and a right hand turn if you are coming from the north) merge onto NE 45th ST.
- Follow NE 45th ST west. It travels under US99 and then becomes 46th ST and then N MARKET ST as you near Ballard.
- From MARKET ST, turn LEFT onto 15th AVE NW crossing over BALLARD BRIDGE.
Just as you leave the bridge, turn right onto W EMERSON ST.
- Follow W EMERSON ST to a 4-way intersection where you turn RIGHT onto GILMAN AVE W. Stay on GILMAN AVE W as it turns into W GOVERNMENT WAY.
- Take a Left onto 34th Ave W at the 4-way stop after the Shell gas station.
- Take a RIGHT onto W Emerson St
Follow W Emerson St until you see the EarthCorps Orange A-frame Event sign. Turn right into the park
- Look for the EarthCorps registration area.
Be sure to check current routes on Metro Trip Planner: http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- 4 Hours