GoodSkills Literacy Corps Member
Help individuals who lack literacy, numeracy, and basic computing skills learn what is necessary to knock down barriers, increase self-sufficiency and to pursue dreams of higher education and/or better career opportunities. Help improve financial literacy knowledge and work with non-native English speakers to increase their knowledge of the English language. Contact us to find out the focus area of each position!
- Seek out and assist those in the community who will benefit from fundamental skills training
- Tutor individuals in literacy, numeracy, basic computer skills, GED prep, ESOL skills, or skills to find jobs
- Lead group learning sessions in Financial Literacy and Financial Coaching
- Recruit and train community volunteers; Organize and participate in community service projects
- Professional Development opportunities for members offered throughout service year
GET INVOLVED! HERE'S HOW YOU BENEFIT:
- AmeriCorps Members serve full-time, for one year with varying hours and receive a modest living allowance of $12,530, health insurance, an education award of $5,775 and travel reimbursement.
- Rappahannock Goodwill will provide ongoing training to members. Some travel necessary. Candidates must have their own transportation.
- Rappahannock Goodwill Industries and AmeriCorps are equal opportunity organizations.
- High School diploma or equivalent required. Some college preferred.
- Valid Driver's License
- Experience tutoring or otherwise working with adult learners preferred, but not required.
- Experience with personal computers and their standard applications preferred.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish and English a plus.
- NINE full time positions available: 3 with Goodwill Fredericksburg, 1 with Goodwill Culpeper and Culpeper Literacy Council, 1 with Rappahannock United Way, 1 with CRRL--England Run, 1 with CRRL--Colonial Beach, 2 with Rappahannock Area Regional Adult Education.
- Literacy / Reading
- Financial Literacy
- Teaching / Instruction
- Adult Education
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 year
- High School Diploma or equivalent