This is a year-round volunteer opportunity.
The Mentoring Program links members of the Club with positive role models among staff and community volunteers. The goal of the Mentoring Program is to provide consistent support, guidance, and concrete help on a one-to-one basis and to encourage mentees to improve academic achievement, school attendance, explore career goals, explore college and scholarship possibilities, solve life issues, and improve self-esteem. Volunteer mentors and mentees meet approximately one hour per week on the Boys & Girls Club of Collier Campus. The relationship will last for a minimum of one year. This provides time to develop a consistent, positive, healthy relationship. A mentor manual, training, and mentoring activities will be provided to those who volunteer for participation in this program. The program serves 6th - 12th grade members, Monday-Thursday, 3:30-6:30 PM.
Requirements and Responsibilities:
* Complete a volunteer application.
* Are screened by professional club staff.
* Attend a Boys & Girls Club of Collier County orientation.
* Sign agreement to adhere to the Volunteer Policies & Procedures Handbook.
* 25 years and older and complete required background check with copy of driver’s license and social security card).
* Available from October - April and ability to provide commitment and consistency.
* Strong listening skills and the ability to communicate with children and teenagers openly and in a nonjudgmental way.
* Willingness to establish a relationship of equal responsibility and respect with a member and help him or her achieve personal and academic/career goals.
* Strong and practical problem solving skills and an ability to suggest options and alternatives.
* Sensitivity to persons of different education, economic, cultural or racial backgrounds.
This volunteer opportunity is also available at our Bolch Campus in Immokalee.
1155 Roberts Ave West
Immokalee, FL. 34142
Boys & Girls Clubs of America is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. The organization will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to, veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, or any other protected group status as defined by law. Boys & Girls Clubs of America will also not discriminate against employees or applicants based on sexual orientation or gender identity.