Support an endangered musical tradition - help with videos, social media, photos, recordings
83 people are interested
MBIRA needs volunteers to help us work with Zimbabwean music videos, social media strategy, recordings, photos and more - no experience needed, but music video editing experience particularly needed! Volunteers devote anything from 3 to 20 hours a week on any one or more of these tasks - we train you for most of them, no experience is needed except where noted:
- Edit music videos of traditional Zimbabwean music, if you have experience
- Help with social media strategy
- Scan old photos for our website and album covers, edit them if you have Photoshop experience
- Digitize old cassette recordings
- Event publicity: posters, Facebook event promotion etc.
- and more
- If you have *grantwriting experience*, we'd always love help with that
During MBIRA's 1st 20 years, our sales of field recordings and instruments, plus donations, generated over $1.1 million for 275 Zimbabwean musicians and instrument makers. Many of these are village musicians who might earn about $100/year or less, so our work is at least doubling a recorded musician's income. Even urban musicians live in a context of 90% unemployment (reminding us how lucky we are!)
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
2323 McGee AveBerkeley, CA 94703
- Grant Writing / Research
- Video Production
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 18
- 3 to 20 hours per week
- Able to show up at the time you tell us, please