Neighbors Who are Blind Need Readers, Drivers
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
19 people are interested
Your neighbor who is legally blind is struggling with the basics of life, getting to the grocery or department store, seeing the price tags, and taking their packages on the BUS!
You can help with just a few hours per month taking a neighbor shopping when you go, or using their list, reading for them, sorting their mail and assisting with other related tasks. IT's easy and all you will feel is good.
Requirements to be a great volunteer include:
- a desire to help others;
- a pleasant demeanor;
- a good reading/speaking voice;
- average reading skills;
- organizational or planning abilities;
- a good driving record;
- a clear criminal history;
- two references
- access to a car with proof of insurance;
- a minimum of $50/100k liability and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Volunteers will be matched within three to five miles of home or work but will need to make a one-time visit to BESB’s Windsor office for an interview and sighted guide training.
We'll work with your schedule.
Various locations throughout CTHartford, CT 06117
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training