- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
4 people are interested
NGO MANAGEMENT & ADMINISTRATION - Experience the day-to-day running of a grass-roots NGO
ORGANIZATION: Aldeas de Paz
Please visit the new page to apply.
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
4 people are interested
Experience the day-to-day running of a grass-roots NGO
Welcome to our comprehensive NGO management & administration program, offering valuable insights into the inner workings of the Aldeas de Paz Foundation. Whether you aspire to start a charity or gain hands-on experience in grassroots NGO operations, this program is for you. As a volunteer or intern, you'll closely observe and actively assist the coordinator and director in various tasks, gaining a comprehensive understanding of our day-to-day operations. Beyond administrative duties, you'll support the well-being and integration of fellow volunteers, fostering a sense of belonging in Samaná. Your dedication and flexibility are essential as you play a pivotal role in executing projects and engaging with beneficiaries directly. Embrace this opportunity to develop leadership skills, cross-cultural communication, and adaptability, propelling your journey in the nonprofit sector. Join us in creating lasting impact and contributing to meaningful causes within the vibrant community of Samaná.
Volunteer placement or internship
Our program offers flexible commitment options for volunteers, ranging from a minimum of 4 hours daily up to to 40 hours per week - you decide! If you're joining as an intern, we understand that your school or university may have specific requirements. Please inform us in advance about your internship criteria, enabling us to tailor a personalized work plan to suit your needs. Share your expectations and goals with us, and we'll work together to ensure you achieve them. We are happy to give students academic credit or provide a report outlining the learning outcomes and deliverables achieved during the internship.
What to expect
Experience the inner workings of Aldeas de Paz Foundation as an NGO Administration volunteer or intern. Observe and assist the Coordinator and director in office tasks and community project support, gaining valuable insights into grassroots operations. Your role extends to coordinating and supervising community programs, making a positive impact on beneficiaries' lives. We prioritize your well-being and integration, fostering a nurturing environment in the vibrant community of Samaná. Direct engagement with beneficiaries and participation in foundation-wide events enhance your leadership, cross-cultural communication, and adaptability skills. This versatile program empowers aspiring social entrepreneurs and nonprofit enthusiasts, equipping you to manage charitable initiatives or contribute to NGOs worldwide. As a volunteer, you'll make a tangible difference while experiencing significant personal and professional growth. Join us and create lasting impact in the beautiful community of Samaná.
Activities can include but are not limited to
- Assisting with the coordination of volunteers, including conducting meetings
- Supporting the day-to-day running of the NGO and attending meetings with local actors, authorities and community members
- Shadowing the director/coordinator in general administration and day-to-day tasks
- Working in financial accountability tasks such as financial planning and budgeting
- Attending frequent operational meetings to discuss events at the foundation
- Participating in and remaining informed of all the foundation’s programs
- Assisting with updating social networks and the webpage
- Helping promote our cause online and practicing fundraising through social media and grant writing
- Assisting board meetings, taking useful meeting minutes and preparing reports
- Assisting with editing our monthly newsletter
- Helping with editing information and job descriptions and assisting with updating listing opportunities and forwarding updated information to our international sending agents
- Activities for advanced Spanish speakers: Working on public relation projects designed to mobilize community support. These include, but are not limited to: radio broadcasts, participating in neighborhood council meetings, writing bulletins/columns, organizing community projects, working with locals to find new volunteer opportunities, translating newsletters and website information into Spanish.
No prior experience or special skills are necessary. Enthusiasm, a willingness to learn, and the ability to take initiative in coordinating volunteers and tasks are essential for NGO administration and management volunteers. Friendliness, care, commitment, and patience are important qualities. Ideal volunteers have a passion for development aid, some international volunteering experience, and a desire to support others. Activities are tailored to each volunteer's motivation and experience, with our staff and volunteers providing continuous support. While basic conversational Spanish is helpful, it is not mandatory. To facilitate integration, we offer free Spanish classes, full support, and 24/7 backup. Please bring a laptop and pen drive for a flexible working environment.
This program is ongoing throughout the whole year
A minimum time commitment of 2 weeks is required and can be extended up to one year
Samana & Las Terrenas
About your Placement Location
The Aldeas de Paz Foundation is based in the charming coastal villages of Samana and Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic. Samana, in the north-eastern corner, has about 15,000 inhabitants and is renowned for its safety, tranquil atmosphere, and beautiful beaches. The community values social responsibility and exudes a secure, small European town vibe. The Dominican Republic's countryside is widely recognized for its peacefulness, making it one of the safest regions in the Caribbean. When you join our program, you'll experience a welcoming and secure environment while contributing to meaningful projects in this picturesque part of the world.
Discover our sought-after volunteer guesthouse apartments in Samaná and Las Terrenas, offering convenience, safety, and scenic beauty. Standard accommodation includes shared rooms for bonding with fellow volunteers from diverse backgrounds. Choose from double, single, or homestay options to immerse in local culture. Enjoy free wifi and access to a washing machine. Collaborate with volunteers worldwide for a rich cultural exchange and lifelong friendships. Join us in creating a respectful and supportive community, ensuring a personally rewarding volunteering experience. Be part of this meaningful journey and leave with unforgettable memories and lasting friendships.
Volunteer safety is our top priority. Upon your arrival at the airport, our friendly English-speaking driver will be there to greet you and help with your transit to the bus terminal. They'll ensure you have a direct and comfortable bus ticket to Samana, your placement location (approximately 2 hours). Once you arrive, our dedicated staff and fellow volunteers will warmly welcome you and escort you to your accommodation.
Costs & Benefits
At Aldeas de Paz, we are committed to affordability and financial transparency with our open book policy. Our minimum contribution starts at just €155 per week (after the second week). This inclusive package covers Spanish language classes, comfortable accommodation in fully equipped guesthouse apartments, a dedicated program donation, personal welcome service, airport pick-up, bus transfer, bus fare, and a free transfer to your placement location.
This is included:
- Airport welcome service & transfer to your placement location
- Fully equipped Accommodation in Las Terrenas or Samana depending where you will be placed
- Free WiFi & access to washing machine
- Free regular Spanish lessons throughout your placement
- Placement introduction, certificate & student credit
- Full support and 24/7 backup from local staff
- Information about adventure packages & in-country travel
Enjoy free Spanish language classes for volunteers and interns, emphasizing practical communication skills. Develop listening, speaking, reading, and writing abilities naturally, similar to learning one's mother tongue. From day one, you'll use Spanish in real-life situations with role-plays, situational dialogues, and work projects complementing the basic syllabus. Beyond the classroom, immerse yourself in the Spanish language and Dominican culture for a continuous learning experience.
- Immerse in the vibrant Dominican lifestyle, embracing the rhythm of Caribbean music
- Master Spanish fluency through free classes and embrace daily life with locals.
- Fuel your passion for learning and boost your career with international experience.
- Create unforgettable memories with weekend excursions alongside fellow participants.
- Relish the stunning beaches of Samana, conquer Pico Duarte's peaks, and explore Santo Domingo's historical colonial town.
What makes the Dominican Republic and Samana unique?
Samana, a captivating peninsula in the northeastern part of the Dominican Republic, boasts breathtaking beauty. With its lush coconut trees extending into the sea, it feels like a secluded island. The town of Samana is a picturesque and tranquil port, where friendly locals engage in tourism, agriculture, and fishing, all accompanied by the lively rhythms of Merengue, Bachata, and Salsa music. A two-kilometer-long Malecon (seaside promenade) offers delightful strolls day and night, leading to a variety of charming restaurants and bars, perfect for relaxing evenings. Surrounding the peninsula, you'll find hundreds of fantastic beaches, ready to be explored on day trips or weekend getaways. Embrace the Dominican lifestyle, enjoying the soothing rhythm of Caribbean music in this idyllic destination!
Project/charity name: Fundación Aldeas de Paz
Address: Samana, Dominican Republic
Whatsapp: +1 829 7055 123
About Aldeas de Paz
Avenida La Marina, Santa Barbara de Samaná, Samaná 32000, DO
Aldeas de Paz is a sustainable and transparent grass-roots NGO based in Santa Barbara de Samaná and Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic. We are independent from political, religious or business interests and maintain independence by completely funding and operating our programs with the practical and monetary contributions of volunteers and interns. OUR MISSION We promote a Culture of Peace through enriching cross-cultural exchange for people of all cultural backgrounds and nationalities and we practice voluntary community service where we provide additional opportunities in education, sports, health care and skill training. We assist our beneficiaries in developing their potential and improving their own lives.
We are a youth oriented organization with the purpose of educating, mentoring, inspiring and empowering young people. We aim to develop their potentials and help them to create opportunities for them and their community through our educational programs and recreational activities. We promote children rights and equal opportunities for all.
Volunteer placement, apprenticeship or internship
You can join this program as a volunteer, apprentice or intern. That's up to you! As a volunteer you are free to commit any number of hours per week. That's up to you! As an apprentice or intern however you probably have to fulfill requirements set by your school or university. Please inform us of your school or university internship requirements in advance so that we can work out your personalized work plan together. Also tell us about your personal expectations and goals. We are happy to give students academic credit or provide a report outlining the learning outcomes and deliverables achieved during the placement.
C/Adriana HortonSanta Barbara de Samana, Samana 32000Dominican Republic
January 26, 2024
- Administrative Support
- Office Management
- Program Management
- Group Facilitation
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- A minimum time commitment of 2 weeks is required.
- No previous experience or special skills are required, enthusiasm is the most important thing!