Safe Passage, a 501(C)3 non-profit development-focused organization, is seeking exceptional English Teachers and Tutors to join our English Department team. Known in Guatemala as Camino Seguro, Safe Passage’s mission is to empower the poorest at-risk children and families who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community by creating opportunity and fostering dignity through the power of education. Safe Passage is a secular, non-political organization.
Safe Passage is seeking dynamic English Teachers who will:
- Teach five to six 30-minute English classes per day;
- Equip students with the English language skills necessary to attend university and secure jobs in fields requiring English;
- Be responsible for teaching English content while nurturing a safe and empowering classroom environment;
- Support adult learning through tutoring teachers, staff and parents one-on-one or in small groups as needed;
- Create fun and engaging lessons to motivate and encourage students;
- Implement student assessments periodically to monitor progress and complete program evaluations.
- Passion for Safe Passage’s mission, commitment to service and ability to engage children, families and staff;
- Experience working with at-risk, low-income student populations and/or experience teaching ESL;
- English fluency and at least a beginner level of Spanish (Spanish proficiency preferred);
- Cultural sensitivity, ability to connect across cultural and linguistic divides;
- Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence;
- Strong organizational skills and self-direction;
- Experience living or working in Guatemala or other developing nation (preferred).
- Opportunity to work with and learn about an incredible population while gaining professional experience
- Monthly housing allowance commeasurate with education and experience
- Free lunch and transportation to the project
- 5 paid vacation days per 6-month period
- One month paid vacation during school break (Dec-Jan), if returning for the following school year
For more information about the organization, please see www.safepassage.org/volunteers.
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum Six Months