Love books, love kids, we need you!
Volunteers are needed for Open Door Family Medical Centers Reach Out and Read Program.
Statics prove that children read to at an early age are more successful in school. You can help change a child's world by becoming a reading volunteer for Open Door's Reach Out and Read Program.
It's fun, it's easy, and it makes a difference! Volunteers read aloud with one or more children, model reading techniques for parents and chat with the family about reading with their children.
Our Reach Out and Read team will train you about working with our families, what books are best by age and more to help you feel ready to make a difference.
- Wonderful flexible volunteer opportunity for everyone who loves to read and work with children.
- We are building our team of daytime volunteers especially and can use your help. If you are recently retired or at home and looking for a little something to do, give us a call.
- Many colleges have approved Reach Out and Read for required course hours.
- We also use after school support as well, so all of you high school students who need community service hours and are reliable, give our rewarding program a try.
Locations: Ossining, Port Chester, Sleepy Hollow and Mt. Kisco, NY
Days/Hours: all business hours
Shift: It's as easy as 1 hour per week or much longer if you prefer
Not sure? Come for a Reach Out and Read trial to see if our environment is a good fit for you. Then all volunteers complete a volunteer application and volunteer Orientation.
Open Door Family Medical Centers is a non-profit community-based health organization. We are buliding strong, healthy communities. Join our team!
- To serve as an ongoing volunteer you must be an adult, college student or high school student age 14 or older
- All volunteers 18 years and older will have a background check performed by Open Door
- Medical requirements:
- Provide documentation of a physical exam not older than 12 months
- Provide documentation of a PPD Test (TB) not older than 12 months
- Provide an immunization record or documentation of blood work for titer levels
- Provide documentation of the seasonal flu vaccine
- Sign a Hepatitis B form
- Have two reference forms completed and submitted directly to Open Door
- Attend a volunteer orientation and complete a safety post test
- Sign a Volunteer Service Agreement and Pledge of Confidentiality
- Volunteers agree to serve a minimum of 20 hours in a 12 month period.
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Child Development
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- Weekly 1 hour or longer if desired
- Volunteer application and medical information