2 people are interested
English Language Tutor at FDC
2 people are interested
The EL Tutor will assist the English Language Instructor by monitoring and supporting students in small groups during the online class or working one-on-one with a student to support student success.
The Family Discovery Center (FDC), of Sheppard Pratt (SP), is a multi-generational adult education program that promotes adult learning and healthy child development in families with young children. Part of the Maryland Family Network, the FDC offers ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages), Employment Readiness, Health Education, Nurturing Parenting, and Child Development classes to parents with children age 4 and younger in Montgomery County.
Sheppard Pratt seeks to promote the resiliency, recovery, and independence of individuals and families across the lifespan through mental and physical health, social service, and education, thereby strengthening communities.
Location: 1010 Grandin Avenue, Rockville, MD, 20851 / Currently Virtual
- Assist the English Language Instructor in the classroom
- Tutor one adult in basic English reading and writing skills
- Review and practice grammar points and vocabulary words from class
- Review homework assignments with student and assist with completing them
- Maintain strict confidentiality
Reports to: English Language Instructor
Length of appointment: Volunteers are asked to commit for a minimum of three months, or up to one year.
Time commitment: Volunteers are asked to help at least one shift per week. Time commitment varies depending on the role. The hours for classroom volunteering are Monday and/or Tuesday from 1 - 3 pm. One-on-one tutoring is for one hour every week on Wednesday or Friday morning, with some flexibility in scheduling. Tutors are asked to keep the same hour each week.
- Sensitive and adaptable to learners’ needs
- Accepting of and sensitive to cultural, economic, and familial differences
- Enthusiasm for working with adults
- Commitment to helping the student gain increased independence and confidence in his/her ability to learn and use the English language
- No previous teaching or tutoring experience necessary
- Must have computer equipment and internet access
SP orientation and FDC orientation and job specific training will be provided.
18 years of age and older
Volunteer shall dress appropriately for the conditions and performance of their duties.
SP Volunteer Application, Confidentiality and Volunteer Agreement
Background checks (Ages 18 and older)
FDC Orientation Forms
About Sheppard Pratt
620 E. Diamond Ave., Suite M, Suite M, Gaithersburg, MD 20877, US
Sheppard Pratt (formerly Family Services) promotes the resilience, recovery, and independence of individuals and families across the lifespan though mental and physical health, social service, and education, thereby strengthening communities.
For over 100 years we have been providing a wide array of services and supports to over 12,000 people in Montgomery, Frederick and Prince George's counties each year.
1010 Grandin AvenueRockvilleRockville, MD 20851
September 7, 2021
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers are asked to help at least one shift per week. Time commitment varies depending on the role. The hours for classroom volunteering are Monday and/or Tuesday from 1 – 3 pm. One-on-one tutoring is for one hour every week on Wednesday or Frida