We're sorry, this opportunity no longer exists.
AMERICAN RED CROSS has 37 more opportunities, please check them out.See Opportunities
Shelter Service Associate - Volunteer Position
ORGANIZATION: AMERICAN RED CROSS
Please visit the new page to apply.
The Shelter Service Associate is a temporary position assigned to work in person in a Red Cross shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event. Shelter Service Associates complete tasks necessary for shelter operations and provide assistance for disaster clients. Shelter Service Associates support the day-to-day activities within a shelter which may include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information, or other areas within a shelter.
- Following worker safety procedures for working in a COVID environment
- Embodying the fundamental principles of the American Red Cross in their work with clients, disaster responders and partners
- Providing excellent client service and support the daily maintenance of the shelter operation at the direction of the assigned Shelter Supervisor
- Using the Shift Tool during the disaster event to report availability and schedule shelter shifts
Completing the required virtual self-paced training (3 hours of training total)
* Ability to build appropriate and effective relationships with co-workers and shelter residents.
* Ability to support and correct performance, manage conflict and ask for help early on so that workflow and service delivery does not impact shelter residents or the shelter community.
* Demonstrates clear, concise, and effective written and verbal communication.
* Lift / carry 20 lbs. multiple times/shift.
* Stand and or sit for two-hour periods and walk for two miles during a shift.
* Walk on uneven terrain.
* Work outdoors in inclement weather, extreme heat and/or humidity and/or extreme cold.
* Climb two or more flights of stairs.
* Speak clearly on phone and in person.
* Work for long periods on computer and/or reading small print and/or writing.
* Drive in daytime and at night
* Minimum 18 years of age
* Willing and able to volunteer in person in a COVID -19 disaster shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event
* Availability to sign up for shifts on consecutive days (shifts may be 4, 8 or 12 hours long)
Willing to complete 3 hours of virtual self-paced training required for position
About AMERICAN RED CROSS
2825 Emerywood Parkway, Richmond, VA 23294, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
The American Red Cross, through its strong network of volunteers, donors and partners, is always there in times of need. We aspire to turn compassion into action so that...
...all people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter and hope;
...our communities are ready and prepared for disasters;
...everyone in our country has access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products;
...all members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed; and
...in an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.
Multiple locations Norfolk, VA 23510
May 4, 2021
- Disaster Response
- Must be at least 18