Head of Community Engagement
The primary responsibility of this position is to develop and manage the team of Community Engagement Managers, who are in charge of building and managing relationships and networks with key stakeholders in the communities they cover and that serve middle school age youth and girls in particular (Schools, Libraries, Community Centers, Girls Scouts, Boys and Girls Clubs, YMCAs)- all potential hosts of JerseySTEM sponsored programs. The Community Engagement Manager’s job requires meeting with these stakeholders, eventually in person. During these meetings they will represent JerseySTEM, detail our offering and agree on potential programs that the site can host. The Head of Community Engagement will take the lead on key/strategic Community Accounts. (School District Central offices, Regional office of Boys and Girls Club, Relationship with Sister organizations)
About the department
JerseySTEM partners with Community institutions that cater to middle school age children ( (Schools, Libraries, Community Centers, Girls Scouts, Boys and Girls Clubs, YMCAs) in New Jersey to secure a physical location and the participation of partners willing to host/organize JerseySTEM sponsored programs.
In this partnership, JerseySTEM provides:
- funding in the form of Grants
- scouting, training and support of the coaches assigned to the location
- marketing support to recruit the middle school girls
The host site (Partner) provides:
- a safe location with basic services (tables, electricity, Wifi)
- a legal construct for the coaches to volunteer
- outreach to the students
- oversight of the local operation (safety/security of the kids,...)
The relationships with communities is extremely important because the aim of JerseySTEM is to help build local capacity for those communities to run the programs autonomously in the long run (year 3,4,...)
There are 300+ communities, 400+ middle schools, 250+ libraries in northern New Jersey with about 50% of them in underserved communities. They represent our target audience and directly impact our ability to get 25,000 middle schoolers taught by 2025.
Essential Duties of the Position:
- Reach out to new Sites according to the GapAnalyzer priority list of 25by25 plan
- Manage a team of 10 Volunteer Community/Site Liaisons who interact with the sites they serve
- Establish departmental guidelines, processes and documentation
- Build the Salesforce Community Engagement contact list
- Recruit and Train new Community/Site Liaison. Establish goals/targets for them provide support and monitor performance.
- Interact with peer department heads: Marketing/Communication, Finance, Curriculum
- Participate to the Leadership team activities of Budgeting, Planning and Reporting
- Coordinate weekly department meetings
- Participate to steering committee, board meeting and board committees as appropriate
Essential Qualifications and Skills
- Genuine concern about/interest in solving the gender gap and opportunity gap in education in general and STEM education in particular
- Resourceful, Can-do attitude
- Networking Experience preferred
- Sales experience preferred
- Team management preferred
- Local to NJ (Car and license required for traveling to Sites to meet)
- Ideal candidate would have a flexible/ at-home work schedule or be retired so that you can meet with people in person during the day (1-2 times a month)
JerseySTEM utilizes G-Suite (Gmail, Sheets...), JIRA and Slack
Since most roles in the organization are virtual, it requires access to a personal computer and WiFi
General participation in Fundraising. Representing the Organization when needed.
A week in a life:(average for 5 hours/week)
- Daily: check email/salesforce to see if any associate or client needs immediate attention (15mn x 5)
- Once a week: Organize departmental review of Pipeline (1hour)
- Once a week: Participate in Steering Committee (1 hour)
- Once A Month: Departemental review with Community Engagement Oversight Committee (1,5 hour)
- Once every 3 months: Attend Board Meeting (3 hours)
36 Chatham Road, Summit, NJ 07901, US
Our Mission JerseySTEM is a grassroots 501(c) nonprofit organization dedicated to bringing Science, Technology, Engineering and Math ("STEM") education to pre-teen and teenage girls and underserved children in New Jersey. We partner with socially responsible companies and their employees, youth organizations in underserved communities, and civic-minded college students and universities. Together we develop and deliver innovative, hands-on afterschool projects and inquiry-based learning opportunities that develop teamwork, 21st century problem solving skills, and self esteem. Our Goals Reduce the gender gap in STEM participation by serving 25,000 girls by 2025 Bridge the innovation gap in STEM education by introducing novel formats for teaching Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math Address the opportunity gap by expanding access to STEM programs in underserved communities
Incorporated in 2013, JerseySTEM started bringing afterschool enrichment programs to middle school girls in 2015.
We have since provided 1,000 students with exposure to afterschool enrichment programs delivering more than 20,000 hours of instruction. Students learn to code, build robots, solve problems and through that process gain self-esteem and confidence that they can be the leaders of tomorrow.
We'll work with your schedule.
to be sharedSummit, NJ 07901
- People Skills
- Project Management
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 21
- 5 hours/week, 12 months