CMMB - Healthier Lives Worldwide is an international, faith-based NGO providing long-term, co-operative, medical and development aid to communities affected by poverty and unequal access to healthcare. For over a century, we have worked to strengthen and support communities through healthcare programs and initiatives, the distribution of medicines and medical supplies, and the placement of volunteers.
CMMB’s Volunteer Program addresses the critical need for professionals in areas that lack sufficient resources for quality preventive and curative health services, especially for women and children. Our Volunteer Program has placed thousands of practitioners around the world to help develop and implement community health interventions, work at local hospitals and health facilities, conduct clinical training for host country counterparts, and deliver essential medicines and supplies. The ultimate goal of CMMB's Volunteer Program is to support our country teams and local healthcare workers by sending volunteers that are dedicated to strengthening local health systems and supporting a pattern of sustainable development.
We believe in a world in which health and human dignity are shared by all.
We believe that access to quality healthcare is a basic human right. For more than 100 years, we have worked with global partners to deliver locally sustainable, quality healthcare solutions to women, children, and their communities. We’re ready to make it 100 more.
We believe change starts with her.
We work tirelessly for women’s and children’s health because they are disproportionately affected by illness and poverty. We know that healthy, educated, and empowered women are better able to raise healthy, educated, and confident children, and that communities depend on their livelihoods.
We believe in people.
We strive to live out our core values of collaboration, love, excellence, and respect every day. We provide our volunteers with a meaningful volunteer package, and the opportunities to learn, grow, and leave a longstanding legacy. We especially encourage all persons of diverse backgrounds to apply.
COVID update and work from home update:
CMMB has developed guidelines to inform the different aspects of preparedness and preventive measures we need to put in place for the reopening of our NYC Headquarters. These guidelines were developed based on the Employee Wellness Survey responses, the COVID-19 Task Force and external survey through the Humentum network. CMMB is still working from home to protect the health of its employees. All NYC volunteer placements are remote until further notice. In the meantime, we are interviewing for remote service to support the COVID response with urgently needed skills.
CMMB is seeking students and professionals who can serve in the following primarily New York based volunteer positions:
* Communications Associates: develop key messaging for sharing our mission and impact on social media, CMMB’s website, blog, storytelling, newsletters, mailings, outreach, and events.
* Marketing and Outreach Assistants: help us implement our outreach strategy, through event coordination support, liaising with donors and partners and ongoing curation of content in social media.
* Content Producers: develop clear and engaging copy for our marketing and communications materials, such as, social media, website, blog, storytelling pieces, newsletters and direct mailings.
* Photographers: Produce compelling and high quality visual stories to portray the challenges that women and children face, truly putting a face to the impact of our work.
* Videographers: Collect engaging and impactful video content to represent our programs and the urgent needs in the 5 countries where CMMB works.
* Designers: help us promote our mission and increase our partner engagement by designing outstanding annual reports, quarterly reports, social media content and e-newsletters.
* International positions: Must be 21 years old
* International positions: Bachelor’s in Communications, Marketing, Journalism or related field.
*NYC intern positions: general knowledge and interest in communications, marketing or journalism
* International positions: Minimum one year of experience in Communications and/or Marketing
* Computer skills in Photoshop, Word, Excel, and other Microsoft Office tools.
* Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
* Ability to identify and remove obstacles and adjust workload to accommodate changing business needs.
* Determined self-starter.
* International positions: Knowledge of professional and ethical standard of health care delivery and practice.
* International positions: Familiarity and interest in global health issues, especially maternal and child health issues.
* International positions:Willingness to endure resource-limited working conditions and evening/weekend hours.
* Proficiency in English; strong communication skills.
* French or Creole REQUIRED for Haiti.
Domestic Positions Available in New York City. Limited international opportunities also available in Kenya and Haiti
NYC Internship cohorts are seasonal, and they work around the typical academic calendar. Internships typically last around three months, and the timeline is as follows: -Spring: mid-January through April -Summer: June through September -Fall: September through December
Cost and Expenses/Conditions:
Volunteers who serve Internationally for 6-12 MONTHS: CMMB will provide housing, stipend for meals/living expenses, and insurance. Volunteers are expected to cover the cost of their placement ($2,500) through fundraising/contributions.
NYC interns will volunteer in an office environment. Office hours are 9-5 Monday through Friday at our location on 100 Wall Street Floor 9. It is up to the intern how many days a week they would like to contribute time at CMMB. We believe that the more time contributed, the more the intern can gain from their experience at CMMB! It is an unpaid internship, however, college students can receive college credit.
Inspired by the example of Jesus, CMMB works in partnership globally to deliver locally sustainable, quality health solutions to women, children, and their communities.
CMMB is a leading faith-based NGO focused exclusively on global health care for the world’s poor, by building healthy, sustainable communities through community engagement and partnerships. Now entering its second century, CMMB is committed to integrating and focusing its programming around saving the lives of children and mothers by concentrating on leading causes of mortality in targeted communities.
Building around a new CHAMPS (CHildren And Mother PartnershipS) model, CMMB works at both the community and clinical levels in these targeted communities to strengthen health services and address the leading causes of maternal and child death. CMMB has committed to develop 20 CHAMPS sites by 2020, incorporating at least 3 in Haiti, Kenya, Peru, South Sudan, and Zambia.