Bronx House, Inc.
Founded in 1911, Bronx House is a community center located in the northeast Bronx, on Pelham Parkway. Originally serving the Jewish middle class, Bronx House has evolved to mirror the myriad of changes that have taken place in the neighborhood. While still serving a Jewish middle class (albeit much older), our neighborhood is now home to the complete gamut of financial abilities, from welfare families who live in the New York City Housing Projects across Pelham Parkway, to a very large working poor population, to relatively well off homeowners. In addition, in recent years, this area of the Bronx has seen an influx of immigrants from the former Soviet Union, Albania, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Columbia, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Korea, Japan and China. These immigrants join an already racially and religiously mixed community.
Bronx House has become the pivotal place where members of our community can meet, play, learn, become citizens, bring their families, their children, make new friends, learn new skills, remember old ones....an amazing place where no matter what your financial abilities, no matter what your age or your race or your religion or what country you are from, or how well you speak English or know American customs, you are welcomed as part of the Bronx House family.
The Bronx House enriches and maintains the excellence and quality of communal life in the Bronx, preserves, promotes and enhances ethnic understanding, cooperation and interaction by providing programs and services for all stages of life from the young to the old without regard to orientation, creed, religion, national origin or age.. The Bronx House does this within the context of democratic American and Jewish values to foster physical, mental, educational and spiritual growth. To accomplish its mission, Bronx House:
- Offers the opportunity to enhance the quality of life at all levels through educational, cultural, health and recreational programs.
- Enhances neighborhood stabilization by providing a stimulating and safe environment for individuals of all ages.
- Enhances limited community resources by coordinating efforts with other service providers.
- Continually seeks to take the lead in community revitalization efforts and inter-group relations.
- Sets a standard of excellence through its leadership in the community
- Supports the needs, principles and mission of UJA Federation by participating in and promoting its efforts.
- Promotes programs as a community and cultural center including programs of Jewish and secular content to serve people of diverse racial, religious, ethnic and economic backgrounds.
- Provides a meeting place for communal organizations.
- Address 990 Pelham Parkway S.Bronx, NY 10461
- Clare Gebey
- 718 792-1800
- Children & Youth, Community, Immigrants & Refugees, Seniors, Sports & Recreation
There are no reviews for Bronx House, Inc.; be the first to review Bronx House, Inc..