We invite people to join us in many ways:
Engage your faith community, service groups, schools, scouts, businesses, civic groups, men's and women's club and youth organizations in taking up collections of new items throughout the year for delivery in December each year for the Lakota children and Elders of the Cheyenne River Sioux Reservation in South Dakota.
Come to work at our warehouse in Glastonbury, CT to sort, organize and pack gift boxes for some 3,000 children and 500 Elders.
Help us change the conditions in Indian Country caused by hundreds of years of poverty and deprivation. Conditions are the worst in our country rivaling third world conditions including: a life expectancy of only age 48; one of the highest infant mortality rates in the world; a 13% homeless rate; an 87% unemployment rate; and a high school drop out rate of 70%.
The Lakota people are loving, kind, generous and caring. They want to have self-sufficiency and jobs for their families. They need immediate relief and long term opportunities. We ask you to join us and help.
hawkwing's mission is to foster cross-cultural understanding through Native American teachings while offering meaningful community service opportunities for adults and youth to assist the Lakota/Sioux Indians of South Dakota meet their basic human needs arising out of America's worst poverty.
We do this by:
* Outreaching to all cultures and age groups with educational programs, diversity trainings and creative experiences;
* Assisting youth and adults with personal development through experiencing Native American storytelling and Medicine Wheel Programs;
*Engaging volunteers in collecting and packing basic need items for Lakota children and Elders and fostering leadership in communities to engage people in making cash or new item donations;
* Fostering economic self-sufficiency among the Lakota people with assistance from businesses and groups in Connecticut and New England.
- Address 306 Cavan LaneGlastonbury, CT 06033
- Rochelle Ripley
- (860) 633-8933
- Advocacy & Human Rights, Crisis Support, Education & Literacy, Homeless & Housing, Hunger