Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The mission of the Arthritis Foundation is to improve lives through leadership in the prevention, control and cure of arthritis and related diseases.
Established in 1948, AF is a volunteer-driven, national nonprofit organization dedicated to finding a cure for over 120 types of arthritis including:
- rheumatoid arthritis;
- juvenile arthritis;
- back pain;
- psoriatic arthritis
- ankylosing spondylitis;
- scleroderma; and
- carpal tunnel syndrome.
The Northern California Office is located in San Francisco and serves 16 counties--from the Oregon border to Carmel--including:
- Del Norte;
- Contra Costa;
- San Francisco;
- San Mateo;
- Santa Clara;
- San Benito;
- Santa Cruz; and
The Arthritis Foundation Northern California Office:
- partners with community organizations to provide people with arthritis access to evidence-based physical activity programs (aquatic exercise, land-based exercise, tai chi & walking)
- offers free educational seminars & patient education brochures
- provides support and activities for children with Juvenile Arthritis & their families
- referrals to local rheumatologists, support groups
- funds arthritis research both locally and nationally
- provides physicians with continuing medical education in the form of the annual Knowles Lecture
- offers the Summer Science Intership Program which provides top-notch HS juniors and seniors & college frosh & sophomores the ability to work in arthritis research at UCSF & Stanford.
THE TRUTH ABOUT ARTHRITIS
Is the #1 cause of disability in the US.
2/3 of all cases are in people UNDER the age of 65, including 300,000 children - more than cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy and sickle cell anemia combined. Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis is one of the most common chronic childhood diseases & CA has more cases than any other state (38,000).
Refers to more than 120 different diseases - many of which include joint and organ inflammation - whose common denominators are chronic pain & loss of mobility.
Over 50 million people have doctor diagnosed arthritis in the US. Locally, 2 million Northern Californians have some form of arthritis.
Arthritis limits the activities and work of 21 million Americans.
In 2011, the cost to the US economy of arthritis was $128 billion in direct medical expense and lost wages.
Arthritis Foundation Northern California Office accepts donations. Donate Now.
- Laura Maineri
- Need admin access?