KENYA NETWORK OF WOMEN WITH AIDS-KENWA
KENYA NETWORK OF WOMEN WITH AIDS
I have the pleasure of introducing the Kenya Network of Women with AIDS-KENWA to you and your institution. We are a community based non -governmental organisation by, of and for women living with AIDS. We exist to improve the quality of lives of HIV-infected women, their dependants and that of children who have been orphaned through HIV/AIDS.
Our grassroot organization supports 7500 women and men and 2000 orphans and vulnerable children. We operate in seven informal settlements within Nairobi and Central Province.
Our programs focus on three major areas that we believe empower and alleviate suffering of those infected or affected by HIV/AIDS:
- Advocacy and lobbying: KENWA advocates for democracy; by making people living with AIDS aware of their rights; by empowering them to demand their rights and by building their capacity to achieve their rights. Media campaigns, networking, collaboration, and formation of agenda coalitions and folk media
- Care and support program: we provide treatment to HIV-infected individuals, relief food to bedridden patients, rescue centre, medical clinic and healthy desks, legal advice and referrals
- Orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) support: Education (both primary and secondary fees and uniforms), college, vocational training, psychosocial support, life skills, career guidance counseling
OBJECTIVES of KENWA
KENWA serves as a forum with the objective to:
1. Empower women to challenge stigma, discrimination, isolation and hopelessness associated with HIV and AIDS and also to advocate for their rights and those of their children.
2. Empower women to support one another psychologically, materially and to develop coping strategies.
3. Empower women economically.
4. Support orphans through payment of school fees, vocational training, food support and counseling.
5. Build capacity of members to care for one another through Home Based care, mobilize their communities to care for their members etc.
Since KENWA's inception, it has achieved the above objectives through:
- We have reached over 7 million people with our education information and education media campaigns
- Our 175 trained community health workers have been able to provide services like paralegals, referrals, and home based care to our clients
- 225 students retained in secondary schools in the last one year through payment of school fees and purchase of personal effects. This has led to improved performance and higher self-esteem among the students
- More than 1500 children have gone through our psychosocial program where our trained child counselors have supported them through facilitating home visits, individual counseling, group counseling, kids clubs and play therapy in the last one year
- 40 older OVC have been supported with vocational training in the past one year. Some of the OVC supported have started their own businesses while the others are employed
- 750 patients have been receiving treatment from KENWA medical services every week
- Through our radio programs we have been able to advocate for HIV/AIDS prevention, care and support
- We have been able to establish an children's home for HIV-positive children and destitute orphans. Currently we are providing shelter to forty-two orphans and vulnerable children
- 338 women have been economically empowered during the year of 2009 through entrepreneurial skills and seed funding and several have built small businesses and group projects
For KENWA to achieve the above, the support of donors, corporate organizations and individuals has continuously been crucial. However, with the continuous increase in membership and rising number of orphans, we have to continuously mobilize funds to sustain the above programs.
KENWA is a community based non-governmental organisation that aims to empower women living with AIDS and their children, as well as children orphaned or made vulnerable by HIV/AIDS, by improving their quality of life through
- care and support
- special support for orphans and vulnerable children (OVC)
- advocacy and lobbying for human rights and policies that are non-stigmatising and non-discriminating
- Address KENWA GARDEN EST OFF THIKA RD RURAKANEAR ROASTERS HOTELKENWA GARDEN EST OFF THIKA RD RURAKANAIROBI, KENYA 10001 00100KE
- Asunta Wagura
- Advocacy & Human Rights, Children & Youth, Community, Health & Medicine, Hunger
There are no reviews for KENYA NETWORK OF WOMEN WITH AIDS-KENWA; be the first to review KENYA NETWORK OF WOMEN WITH AIDS-KENWA.