INTERNSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT :
Community Advocacy & Engagement Intern
Do you want an internship where you are a part of a team of energetic people? Where you are growing professionally while making a difference?
This is the internship for you! We offer mentorships, trainings, professional development, snacks, and more! We are proud to have one of the best internship programs in the environmental field today.
The Loma Prieta Chapter is a leader in responding to climate change and brings the slogan "think globally, act locally" to life in the Silicon Valley. Leveraging the success of our Cool Cities teams and Sustainable Land Use & Transportation Committees, our Building Climate-Friendly Communities campaign focuses on reducing greenhouse gas emissions through smart urban & regional planning. We are part of a national effort to create livable, complete neighborhoods near downtowns, transit stations, and major public transit corridors that are integrated with adequate services, amenities, and a high quality pedestrian environment that promotes healthier and more active lifestyles.
We are seeking motivated, friendly, and creative individuals to join us as Community Advocacy & Engagement Interns. Interns work closely with Conservation staff to activate Sierra Club members and engage residents in local campaigns for smart growth, improved transportation systems, and sustainable communities.
An ideal candidate...
- Education: Has or is pursuing a degree in Environmental Studies, Urban Planning, Political Science, Sociology, Communication Studies, Public Relations, or a related degree
- Effective and clear writing and verbal communication skills
- Has taken a course(s) in Environmental Studies, Urban Planning, Sociology, or Political Science
- Available to come to our office in Palo Alto for at least 4 months, 8-12 hours a week, Monday-Friday, during business hours (some work can be done out of the office)
- Has passion and the drive to take action on local environmental issues and uphold Sierra Club sustainability goals
- Join and provide support to one of our Cool Cities Teams
- Provide administrative support to our Climate Action Leadership Team
- Organize local house parties and public presentations
- Write articles, op-eds, and letters to the editor in local media sources
- Network, recruit, and engage new volunteers that represent the diversity of the region, including the youth, the disenfranchised, immigrants, and residents from other communities
- Attend and participate in local agency meetings (planning commissions, transit agencies, etc.) and city council meetings.
- Data entry and other administrative support
- Other tasks as assigned (i.e. producing documents, tabling, and facilitating events)
The Sierra Club offers a friendly, fast-paced work environment with highly motivated volunteers focused on making positive change in the world. Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please talk about what you hope to learn from this internship in your cover letter.
Wondering if this is the right internship program for you? Check out this article: "Chapter Interns Give a Lot, Get a Lot,"
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Refer to Description
- Internship: Fracking Action
- Internship: Conservation...
- What the Frack? Anti-Fracking...
- Internship: Grant Writing
- Internship: Sustainable Land Use...
- Electronic Communications Manager
- Internship: Environmental Impact...
- Become an Environmental Leader...
- Become an Environmental Leader...
- Use Your Web Skills to Save the...
- Internship: Recycling and Zero...
- Internship: Community Advocacy &...
- Internship: Latino Community...
- Wanted: Fame seekers! Get your...
- Wanted: Master Baker
- Internship: Social Media &...
- Internship: Fundraising &...
- Internship: Graphic Design
- Internship: Journalism Advocate
- e-Newsletter Editor