INTERNSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT :
Sustainable Land Use Intern
Do you want an internship where you are a part of a team of energetic people? Where you are growing professionally while making a difference?
This is the internship for you! We offer mentorships, trainings, professional development, snacks, and more! We are proud to have one of the best internship programs in the environmental field today.
The Loma Prieta Chapter is a leader in responding to climate change and brings the slogan "think global, act local" to life in the Silicon Valley. Leveraging the success of our Cool Cities teams and Sustainable Land Use Committee, our Building Climate-Friendly Communities campaign focuses on reducing greenhouse gas emissions through smart land use planning. We are part of a national effort to create livable, complete neighborhoods near downtowns, transit stations and transit corridors that are integrated with shops and services and have a quality pedestrian environment that allows for healthier and more active lifestyles.
We are seeking diligent, motivated, friendly and creative individuals to support our Building Climate-Friendly Communities campaign. Sustainable Land Use Interns will work closely with Conservation staff and our Sustainable Land Use Committee to review and make recommendations on long-term plans and individual development projects that are near downtowns, transit stations and transit corridors. Some of the campaigns that you could be working on: Affordable Housing and/or Bus Rapid Transit on the El Camino Real corridor, South San Francisco Downtown Station Area Plan, and oil/gas drilling zoning ordinance analyses (NEW!).
An ideal candidate...
- Education: Has or is pursuing a Master’s in Urban Planning or related degree
- Strong and clear technical writing skills
- Available to come to our office in Palo Alto for at least 4 months, 8-12 hours a week, Monday-Friday, during business hours (some work can be done out of the office)
- Experience/Interest in reviewing Station Area Plans, Downtown Plans, Development proposals, etc
- Passion for sustainability and commitment to Sierra Club goals
- Has passion and the drive to take action on local environmental issues and uphold Sierra Club sustainability goals
- Review and analyze projects (1-2/month) and work with Sustainable Land Use Committee to write comment letters on projects. Meet with staff/decision makers to present recommendations.
- Work with volunteers to promote our recommendations by writing action alerts and calling members
- Organize local house parties and public presentations
- Write articles, op-eds, and letters to the editor in local media sources
- Represent the Chapter at local events.
The Sierra Club offers a friendly, fast-paced work environment with highly motivated volunteers focused on making positive change in the world. Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please talk about what you hope to learn from this internship in your cover letter.
Wondering if this is the right internship program for you? Check out this article: "Chapter Interns Give a Lot, Get a Lot" - www.lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/loma-prietan/story/chapter-interns-give-lot-get-lot/3201
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Internship: Latino Community...
- Internship: Grant Writing
- Electronic Communications Manager
- Internship: Sustainable Land Use...
- Wanted: Fame seekers! Get your...
- Become an Environmental Leader...
- Internship: Journalism Advocate
- Become an Environmental Leader...
- political event organizer
- Internship: Water Advocacy &...
- Use Your Web Skills to Save the...