February 1, 2010
14 Ways to Heat Up Valentine's Day with Volunteering
Whether you’re anxiously awaiting Valentine’s Day or adamantly boycotting it, spreading the love by volunteering this year offers some exciting possibilities.
If you’re attached, use Valentine’s Day as an opportunity to spend time with your significant other while having fun and seeing new sides of each other. Single? Volunteering could help you meet that special someone whose heart is as big as yours. Search for opportunities on http://www.VolunteerMatch.organd you’ll have plenty of warm and fuzzy feelings on February 14th and throughout the rest of the year.
Here are 14 ideas to get you started:
* Like long walks on the beach? Take a romantic stroll while planting seedlings for Save the Bay in Palo Alto, CA.
* If being in front of the fireplace is more up your alley, Lake Metroparks Volunteer Department in Kirtland, OH needs a Cross Country Ski Center Volunteer to pass out skies and snowshoes, and keep logs in the fireplace.
* Hoping to snag a brainy boyfriend? Be a meet and greeter at the Museum of Science in Boston, conveniently located a stone’s throw from Harvard, MIT, and the man of your dreams.
* YMCA Camping Services in Prescott, AZ is looking for volunteers to teach outdoor recreational classes to visiting school groups. Who knows, while teaching archery with other caring volunteers, you might be struck by Cupid’s bow and arrow as well.
* Turn your first date into a play date by volunteering to play games and read stories to kids at Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare in St. Paul, MN.
* Looking for puppy love? Becoming a kennel volunteer at Guiding Eyes for the Blind in Patterson, NY could bring you that much closer.
* Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but everyone can agree that roadside trash is an eyesore. Picking up litter with your sweetheart through Envirocorps in Gig Harbor, WA will beautify the highway while strengthening your relationship.
* Practice the language of love as guest in a high school French class at Sequoia High in Redwood City, CA.
* Admitted chocoholics? Help plan SARSSM’s Chocolate Lover’s Fling in Portland, ME and score free admission to the event in April.
* If your love has already blossomed, why not give flowers to those with less rosy surroundings? Deliver bouquets to patient’s rooms at RSVP+ Southern Valley in Fargo, ND.
* While other’s hearts are pumping, you could volunteer with the one who makes yours skip a beat at the Children’s Advocacy Center of Comal County’s Valentine’s Day 5k in New Braunfels, TX.
* Turn your romantic getaway into a chance to give back while volunteering with A Broader View Volunteers in Chile. You can also fit in a side trip to some of the top wineries in South America.
* Already found “the one?” Become foster parents through Valley Teen Ranch in Fresno, CA and bring even more love into your home.
* And of course, to help out where it’s perhaps needed most right now, America Continental 2000 in Delray Beach, FL is packing up boxes of supplies for the disaster relief effort in Haiti.
These and many other ways to make a difference are available right now. Visit http://www.VolunteerMatch.org today and live happily ever after.
VolunteerMatch is a national nonprofit dedicated to strengthening communities by helping great people and great causes to connect. Its award-winning online service, www.volunteermatch.org, makes it easy to find a way to make a difference by location, expertise, or availability. VolunteerMatch provides many of the nation's most recognized businesses, campuses and organizations with Web-based solutions to facilitate and track volunteer engagement at local and national levels. As the #1 ranking for “volunteer” on Google and Yahoo!, the VolunteerMatch network regularly welcomes more than 190,000 visitors each week and has become the preferred volunteer recruiting service for tens of thousands of participating nonprofits across the country.
Communications & Marketing